1. How can I tell if my roof is in need of repair or maintenance?Homeowners often neglect their roofing system until it begins to leak or other serious damage occurs. In most cases, roofing issues can be discovered way before major (and expensive) problems happen. If you notice cracked, warped or missing shingles, broken flashing, loose seams, or large amounts of shingle granules in the gutter, it’s time to call a roofing contractor.
2. How will I know when it’s time to replace my roof? There are a few ways to determine if it’s time to replace your roofing system.Age: Roofing systems generally last around 2 decades. If your roof is approaching 20 years of age, it’s near the end of its useful life.Leaks: If you see evidence of water leaking inside to your home, it probably has been leaking for quite a while. Water can damage rafters, plywood sheathing, ceilings, walls and more. Extensive structural damage can create a huge problem for homeowners. It’s often cheaper and less involved to simply replace the roof before it begins to leak.Appearance: Shingles that have begun to curl, break, or warp are a good indication that it’s time for a reroofing service.
3. Do I have to replace my entire roof if it leaks? It depends. If the leak is simply caused by faulty flashing or a small section of roof that has been damaged, then you will most likely only need to repair the source of the leak. If, however, the entire roofing system has failed as a result of poor installation or subpar materials, then a new roof installation is appropriate and often necessary.
4. Can I do roofing work myself? Roofing work is generally not a DIY project. Professional roofing contractors are trained and benefit from years of experience to safely & effectively repair or replace your roof. An untrained homeowner can actually harm a roof with improper roofing techniques and could even harm themselves if the right tools & safety equipment are not used.
5. How long will my roof system last? Modern roofing systems are constructed to provide approximately 20 years of useful service life. The life of your roof system will be determined by environmental conditions, proper installation & design, material quality, and adequate maintenance and repairs. Roofing material warranties can vary greatly so take a look at a manufacturer’s warranty programs before you decide.
6. What does a new roof system cost? Pricing on a reroofing service can vary greatly and will depend on factors such as materials, location, time of year, size of the home or building, average labor rates, and whether the project is residential or commercial. It’s important to keep in mind that price should only be one factor you consider when choosing a contractor for a roof replacement. Quality of materials and highly skilled workmanship are just as important since your roof system will only be as good as the contractors who install it. Always insist on a contractor who is dedicated to providing quality work.
7. How do I choose the right roofing company? The right roofing company will be experienced, committed to quality, and have a trail of happy clients across the area. A quality contractor will always meet building codes and requirements and have strict standards for installers to adhere to. Make sure to get a detailed quote and research reviews & ratings from prior customers.
8. What type of roofing materials should I choose? Homeowners can choose from composite, asphalt shingles, cedar shakes or rubber, shingles being the most popular style of roofing. We are dedicated to using only the best quality roofing materials to complete any roof repair, new home roof installation, or roof replacement service.
9. How long does a reroofing job take? The amount of time it will take to complete your reroofing project will depend on the size & complexity of your roof, the weather & season, if your old roof needs removed, the size of the roofing crew, and unforeseen issues with the roofing system. A small, uncomplicated roof may only take a few days to complete whereas a large, complicated roof structure with a number of problems may take several weeks to finish. If you would like a better estimate regarding your particular roof, give our roofing experts a call!
If you have any other questions or would like further explanations for these common roofing questions, contact us today. We’re excited to have the opportunity to earn your business and deliver incredible roofing services.